Saturday, March 6, 2010

My New Hobby

Last October I started taking cake decorating classes with my sister-in-laws. We started with the basic course where we learned how to ice a cake, some basic piping skills and a few flowers. We took a fondant and gum paste class next. We learned how to cover cakes with fondant, some basic fondant decorations and gum paste flowers. I love making the flowers, I think it is my favorite thing so far.
My birthday cake. I think the flowers turned out pretty good for my first try.
Uncle Eric's birthday cake, it's attempting to be masculine.
My mom thought this looked like a ladies summer hat.

My first attempt at flowers.

We made this cake in class. It's a hodge podge of skills we were learning.

This cake is all butter cream. I had the hardest time turning the flower nail the right direction, but the roses still turned out okay.I tried to make my own fondant one afternoon. The recipe completely failed, it wouldn't hold it's shape at all. It did taste really good...